The Health Psychology Service provides specialist psychological care and support to adults with physical health problems, including long-term conditions, remediable conditions and conditions that are life-limiting or terminal.
Among the most common conditions our patients have are chronic pain, chronic fatigue, cancer, coronary heart disease, diabetes, sexual health conditions, neurological conditions and respiratory disorders.
The service provides:
- a specialist clinical health psychology service
- group-based Pain Management Programmes
- Psychological consultancy, supervision and training to health care staff and others who work with people with physical health problems.
- Specialist psychological assessment, psychological therapy and advice to adults with physical health problems, this includes help with:
- difficulties coming to terms with aspects of illness or diagnosis, including end of life issues
- low mood, anxiety and stress associated with illness and treatment
- coping with uncertainty about future health and treatment
- managing pain or other symptoms more effectively
- keeping control and independence
- adjusting to everyday life and recovering after a health problem and treatment
- coping with medication and making decisions about treatment
- making the best use of health care resources (including when to be in contact with GPs and hospital services)
- reducing the risk factors associated with poor health (e.g. overweight, smoking, stress)
- reducing or removing any psychological causes of physical health problems (e.g. in non-epileptic attack disorder)
- assisting relatives and carers who are closely involved with people with challenging physical health problems
Emotional health and wellbeing during the coronavirus outbreak
If you are feeling anxious, worried or overwhelmed at the moment then that is perfectly normal. For information about managing your wellbeing at this time you could visit Joined Up Care Derbyshire’s website.
Click here to open the webpage.
Mental Health support line for Derbyshire
Mental health support is now available to Derbyshire residents of all ages through a new mental health support line. It provides:
- An immediate telephone response to those experiencing immediate distress due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Support for existing Derbyshire Healthcare service users who are experiencing reduced contact with our services
- Support and signposting for people who may need longer-term help
People are referred by their GP or a health professional involved in their care. These professionals can write a referral letter and email this to us at email@example.com. The Health Psychology Service will get in touch shortly afterwards to offer the opportunity to arrange a suitable time to meet the patient for an assessment appointment.
Our main base is at Walton Hospital. We also offer appointments at a number of locations:
MacMillan Cancer Centre, Chesterfield Royal Hospital, Calow, Chesterfield, S44 5BL
Cavendish Hospital, Manchester Road, Buxton, SK17 6TE
Eckington Health Centre, Gosber Road, Eckington, S21 4BZ
Scarsdale Clinic, Newbold Road, Chesterfield, S41 7PF
Welbeck Road Health Centre, Bolsover, Chesterfield. S44 6DF