DCHS staff must identify and record communication needs and make reasonable adjustments with service users
Accessible information standards explained
The Accessible Information Standard tells organisations how they should make sure that disabled patients receive information in formats that they can understand and receive appropriate support to help them to communicate.
For latest information and updates visit NHS England.
What are the Accessible Information Standards?
Browsealoud is an innovative support tool which is available across all our websites.
- Read text out loud to people
- Magnify text size to suit users specific needs
- Translate webpage content into a variety of different languages
Take a look at our simple user guide and have a play around with Browsealoud to see what it’s all about.
NHS England have developed a really useful set of resources which hosts all the information needed for you to understand the standards and how to support someone with communication needs.
- Fact sheets
- Online discussion forum
- Glossery of terms
- Presentations, videos and webinars
- And lots more
As a requirement to record accessible information on patient records, we have now updated the templates within SystmOne. This new single template now replaces the old diversity monitoring questionnaire and the ‘LD & Reasonable Adjustments’ templates which have been removed.
Please read a short user guide on accessing and using the new template.
Making information accessible
Please use the FREE information design service within the Learning Disability Service at Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust when you are looking at making your information easy read. This service produces easy to understand information for the people who use services and has been designed with the people who use services.
This is free to use and is supported by the NHS England Accessible information Standards. All you need to do is register and start using the photos or symbols (if they don’t have something you need you can contact them and they will design something for you.
Please always to reference them when you have used their designs.
- Easy Health - has a suite of (currently over 500) easy read leaflets, health videos and also information on useful organisations for staff to gain extra help and support
- Advocacy Support In Derbyshire - Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and help them to get the support they need
- Watch the NHS Accessible Information Standard BSL video with subtitles (updated July 2015). There are also other useful videos on AIS at NHS England's YouTube channel
- Accessible Information and Communication Policy - Sept 2020